As the year 2023 comes to an end, salon professionals find themselves reflecting on their year and everything that came with it. It has been an eventful year filled with challenges, successes, and endless hours dedicated to serving clients' needs. However, amidst the hustle and bustle, it is crucial for salon professionals to prioritize self-care in order to avoid burnout and maintain balance. The end of the year serves as a perfect opportunity to reset, reevaluate our priorities, and implement effective techniques that will not only benefit our well-being but also enhance our professional performance. In this blog post, we will explore essential self-care tips specifically tailored for salon professionals, highlighting why it is important to take this time to recharge and start the new year refreshed.
WHY IS SELF CARE IMPORTANT FOR SALON PROFESSIONALS?
In the past, it was common for salon professionals to adopt a "live to work" mentality, tirelessly dedicating themselves to their craft and work. However, as our industry continues to evolve, we have come to appreciate the significance of resting and recharging. Working within the business of personal care and beauty, it is crucial for us to acknowledge that providing top-tier service requires more than just technical expertise. We interact with people every day, who rely on us not only for their hair and esthetics needs but also for emotional support and confidence-building. It becomes evident that without taking time to rest, we risk succumbing to tiredness or burnout, ultimately hindering our ability to deliver an exceptional experience. By embracing the importance of self-care and finding balance in our lives, we ensure that each client receives the exceptional treatment they deserve while creating a healthier and more sustainable work environment within the salon industry.
SELF CARE TIPS FOR SALON PROS
1. Take regular breaks: Schedule short breaks throughout your workday to recharge and relax, have a snack and a drink. Pro tip: during the busy holiday season, keep your back room stocked with quick snacks that your team can quickly grab while their client is processing.
2. Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water to keep yourself energized and focused. This seems like a duh, but it’s easy to overlook! Invest in a fancy water bottle for yourself to keep your hydration on track when you’ve got back to back clients.
3. Stretch regularly: Perform simple stretches to relieve tension and improve blood circulation. Pro tip: Head over to YouTube and search for a quick guided stretch that you can sneak in in the back room when you have a few free minutes. We love this one to get you started.
4. Practice deep breathing exercises: Take a few minutes to focus on your breath, inhaling deeply through your nose and exhaling slowly through your mouth. Pro tip: Again, head on over to YouTube or Spotify and find a guided breathing exercise. Here’s one to get you started.
5. Prioritize sleep: Get enough restful sleep each night to ensure mental and physical rejuvenation. Easier said than done, but there are plenty of different practices and rituals you can try to help you fall asleep. We really enjoy the podcast Nothing Much Happens to help drift of to sleep, you can check it out here!
6. Create a calming workspace: Decorate your salon space/station with plants, or aromatherapy diffusers to create a peaceful atmosphere. Pro tip: Focus on creating a “spa like” atmosphere in your bathroom for the holidays (or really all year round!) to create even more of a relaxing experience. Include things like luxury hand scrubs and creams, complimentary mints, feature hair products to try, etc. Check out Pinterest for more inspo!
7. Establish boundaries: Set clear boundaries with clients, ensuring you have time for self-care without feeling overwhelmed or overworked. Pro tip: Establish exactly what these boundaries are before the holidays to make sure you’re not bending/breaking them yourself!
8. Practice mindfulness or meditation: Dedicate a few minutes each day to be fully present in the moment, allowing your mind to relax and let go of stress. Pro tip: YouTube comes through once again with guided mindfulness and meditation practices! Here’s one of our favourites.
9. Engage in hobbies outside of work: Pursue activities that bring you joy and allow you to unwind, such as painting, reading, or exercising.
10. Connect with others: Foster positive relationships with colleagues and friends who understand the challenges of salon work and can provide support.
11. Pamper yourself: Treat yourself to occasional spa treatments or massages to indulge in relaxation and rejuvenation. You provide these things for your clients all day, you need to be on the receiving end from time to time!
12. Eat nutritious meals: Fuel your body with healthy foods that nourish both your body and mind. Pro tip: Meal prep for busy holiday days behind the chair. Hit up Pinterest for meal prep inspiration but here’s one we love for salon pros.
13. Stay active: Incorporate exercise into your routine, whether it's yoga, dancing, or simply going for walks during breaks.
14. Unplug from technology: Take regular digital detoxes by disconnecting from social media platforms or screens during off-hours.
15. Seek professional help when needed: If you're experiencing burnout or struggling mentally, don't hesitate to reach out to a therapist or counselor who specializes in helping salon professionals navigate their unique challenges.
In this whirlwind of holiday chaos, it's easy for salon professionals to get caught up in the frenzy and neglect their own needs. But here's a gentle reminder: you can't pour from an empty cup! Filling up your own cup before pouring into others is not just a cliché, but crucial for providing the best service you can. So take a step back, breathe, and remember that self-care is not selfish; it's necessary. Give yourself permission to rest, recharge, and indulge in some much-needed pampering. By taking care of yourself first, you'll be able to show up as the best version of yourself for your clients during this busy time of year!
‘Til next time,
Your Team At Salon S.O.S